home sweet home
let’s make it happen
St. Lucie Habitat for Humanity provides an opportunity for prospective homebuyers who are in need of decent, affordable housing, as well as current homeowners in need of secure and adequate home renovations. Our programs prove successful because of the dedication of our staff, volunteers, homeowners, sponsors, and community organizations.
Habitat home program
buy a home
repair a home
buy a home program
Interested in applying to become a Habitat Homeowner? Read about the program and check to see if you qualify.
repair a home program
Are you in need of critical repairs to your home? Read about our program to see if it is a good fit for you.
St. Lucie Habitat for Humanity is always looking for ways to revitalize the community and support homeowners. When funds are available, applications are accepted and reviewed to determine eligibility for our home repair and ownership programs.
We offer critical home repairs to homeowners so they can continue to live in safe, decent homes for years to come.
are made to the homeowner to cover the cost of the work. Payments are recycled to help serve others. Monthly or deferred payments will be required.
Families are selected based on income, need, and willingness to partner.
Volunteers & donated materials are used when possible.
habitat home programs Q & A
Whether you’re interested in the “Buy a Home” program or “Repair a Home” program,
many of your questions/answers can be found below.
How do I qualify for the new homeownership program?
How do I qualify for the Critical Repair program?
•live in an owner-occupied single-family home
•be current on property taxes
•be a U.S. citizen or a legal permanent resident
•be a current St. Lucie County resident for at least one year
•provide proof of any verifiable income
•provide most recent tax return and W-2, if applicable
•provide 2 most recent months of bank account statements
(complete, including all blank pages)
•qualify as a low-income household
How does it work?
St. Lucie Habitat for Humanity is always looking for ways to revitalize the community and support the homeowners and prospective home buyers. When funds are available, applications are accepted and reviewed to determine eligibility for our programs.
Willingness to Partner
•Willingness to complete the required 300 sweat equity hours to help build your home and other Habitat homes. Work beside volunteers and donors with a gracious, positive attitude and a happy heart!
•Willingness to attend all required Homeownership education classes. *Home Buyers Only*
•Be on time for all events, meetings, and opportunities.
St. Lucie Habitat will conduct a credit check. We do not take credit scores into consideration. However, accounts in collection, charge-offs, or unsatisfied public records will be considered. It is best to resolve credit issues prior to application.
*Info for Home Buyer Program Only*
•Must live or work in St. Lucie County for 12 consecutive months prior to applying with Habitat.
•All adults in the household must pass a criminal background check.
•All members in the household must either be U.S. Citizens or legal permanent residents (Green Card).
*Info for Home Buyer Program Only*
Who can I contact?
If you or someone you know is interested in finding out about our Habitat Home Programs, please call our office to speak with DonnaLea Askman, Program Director, at (772) 464-1117, ext. 104, or DonnaLea@stluciehabitat.org.
things to know before applying to our buy a home program
the application process
- Income Verification – 3 months most current (paystubs, award letters for benefits from Social Security, VA or other programs, self-employment income, court-ordered child support and/or alimony award letter, etc.)
- Tax Returns and W-2s for the past 2 years (if required to file)
- Bank statements for ALL accounts – 3 months most current (All pages must be submitted)
- Verification of Employment (You give the contact information and Habitat will verify)
- Verification from Land Lord (You give the contact information and Habitat will verify)
- Other obligations – divorce decree, custody arrangements, student loan information
- A credit report will be pulled by St. Lucie Habitat – **Start working on any credit issues now**
- A background check will be conducted by St. Lucie Habitat for Humanity
- Valid Government Issued ID for each applicant & household members over the age of 18
- Social Security Card or proof of Legal Residency Status for every household member
- Birth Certificates for every household member
Your willingness to contribute your own time and effort to partner with Habitat and serve the community.
- Three hundred sweat equity hours required
- Participation in the build or rehabilitation of the home you will purchase & other Habitat homes
- Participation in public relations and marketing efforts to help raise awareness & donations
Savings is your ability to save for the costs of a Habitat House.
- Application fee (non-refundable) for credit and background check and employment verification (amount varies)
- $750 processing fee (non-refundable, if accepted into the program)
- Approximately $4,000 for closing costs
- Habitat homes do not come with a washer/dryer, dishwasher, microwave or lawn equipment – HIPS must purchase these items on their own
St. Lucie Habitat for Humanity follows a nondiscriminatory policy of family selection. Neither race nor religion is a factor in choosing Habitat’s homeowners.
*NOTE: St. Lucie Habitat does not offer short-term housing, rental housing, or immediate occupancy.
St. Lucie Habitat for Humanity is pledged to the letter and spirit of the U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the nation. We encourage and support an affirmative advertising and marketing program in which there are no barriers to becoming a homeowner due to race, religion, sex, handicap, familial status, or national origin.